The Madison Square Garden Company’s vision is to revolutionize entertainment through MSG Sphere – state-of-the-art venues that will pioneer the next generation of immersive experiences and create unforgettable moments. MSG Sphere will utilize a number of cutting-edge technologies to become the first venue to deliver large-scale, fully immersive experiences. Inside the venue, these technologies include: the largest and highest resolution LED screen on Earth; an advanced acoustics system featuring beamforming technology; an infrasound haptic system that uses vibrations so guests can “feel” the experience; and connectivity that will deliver 25 megabits per second for every guest. Together these technologies will create a powerful platform, making MSG Sphere the venue of choice for a wide variety of content -- including attractions, concerts, residencies, corporate events, product launches and select sporting events. MSG is building its first MSG Sphere venue in Las Vegas with the goal of completing the project during calendar year 2021.
· Physical Scenic work:
o Deep understanding of scenic design and art direction.
o Maintains the integrity of the scenic designs from concept through to the show’s run.
o Maintains continuity from show to show and space to space for Sphere.
o Develop, build and implement processes and procedures for effective design and to facilitate efficient and timely design workflows around overall aesthetics of our content. This includes set design, lighting and filming, frame compositions, and color palettes.
o Participates in the visual development phase to discover the look of the project.
o When acting as the lead designer, responsible for creating and executing the visual flow and design as it relates to story and emotional intent through design, lighting and color infrastructure. Provide artistic recommendations that further the artistic vision of the Director with an eye towards budget and scope.
Digital Scenic work:
o Provides assets for show timing and previsualization.
o Provides final art reference for modeling, surfacing and lighting.
o Generates supplemental artwork to various departments to clarify intent.
o Oversees modeling with the VFX and Modeling Supervisor by providing artistic input on the translation of 2D or 3D physical assets into 3D models for the Show.
· Ensures open lines of communication with other departments and projects
· Manages show design archive.
· 10+ year’s work experience in feature film, theater, themeparks, 3D design related field or related as an Art Director, Set or Scenic Designer and/ or Production Designer.
· Ability to think and design from concept to finish independently
· Technically and visually savvy. Must have a extensive working knowledge of MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, AutoCAD, Rhino, Sketch up and REVIT.
· Must have strong skills in artistic drawing to satisfy creative and production requirements.
· Strong management and organizational skills
· Strong communication and collaboration skills.
· Ability to balance show, department and studio needs
· General knowledge of production tools and pipelines
· Must be able to provide a reel/portfolio of work examples -- if available, include a web address when you submit your resume
· 3D modelers and/or draftsperson
· Will require occasional travel and must have the ability to work long hours and weekends when required.